JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Help - Destiny 2

Help us help you.
Edited by Samamander: 10/1/2026 6:40:24 AM
1

Dead Account Lined Via Cross Save and unable to remove.

Hello, I know that there are lots of people who have issues with how you are no longer able to unlink accounts from cross save, and was wondering if there was any news on potential changes or a place to make an appeal. I linked a new steam account to my bungie account ~2-3 years ago because I had made a horrible name change while I was not thinking straight, and heard linking a new account lets you switch the name, so I linked a burner steam account I deleted soon after. I did not however unlink it because there was a 3 month cooldown between linking and unlinking accounts, and I did not play on steam at the time. Because I forgot about unlinking, and never received any notifications in game about the change that would make unlinking impossible, when the time came for me to try and fully swap to steam, I could not as there was an account that no longer exists there. While I had given up on this, now that there is hope for destiny, I would like to be able to correct the linked steam account. If needed, I can provide screenshots of the email that account was bound to showing it was mine, how the authentication for the account never finished meaning that it could not have accessed my characters, and any other details to prove that this was not for account sharing or any nefarious purposes. Though I have a feeling I will get the same response as 6 months ago, being that I am out of luck, I figured it was worth a shot to ask again. Thank you for your time whoever ends up reading this. Edit: Additionally, this makes me unable to link ANY accounts via cross save if I wish to swap to epic or PSN in the future as I cannot get past the first authentication page. This is legitimately an error with the website and not just a personal thing as it makes cross save completely inaccessible for me across ALL platforms. Here is a link of being unable to continue past teh first screen, with the continue button greyed out, and steam not being able to authenticate. I am trying to link to my epic account, and that authentication works fine, but because steam doesnt I cannot link to epic. [url]https://imgur.com/a/OUmZ15X[/url]
English
#Help

Posting in language:

 

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

  • Edited by viiTactiiCZz: 10/1/2026 10:46:32 AM
    [quote]Hello, I know that there are lots of people who have issues with how you are no longer able to unlink accounts from cross save, and was wondering if there was any news on potential changes or a place to make an appeal.[/quote] They haven't announced it anywhere, so right now there's nothing that BNGHelp can say. If a change like that was going to happen it would be put in a news article, mentioned in a pinned thread, or announced on X/BlueSky by the community team (dmg04 etc). [quote]so I linked a burner steam account I deleted soon after. I did not however unlink it because there was a 3 month cooldown between linking and unlinking accounts, and I did not play on steam at the time.[/quote] Couple of things with this: There wasn't a 3 month cooldown for linking/unlinking accounts - that was for activating/deactivating cross-save. You were free to link and unlink accounts as often as you wanted with cross-save deactivated. Even prior to the change, with the Steam account being deleted you couldn't unlink it regardless - you instead had to use a workaround that involved abandoning your Bungie account and moving to another one. The workaround was also closed when they did the change. [quote]Edit: Additionally, this makes me unable to link ANY accounts via cross save if I wish to swap to epic or PSN in the future as I cannot get past the first authentication page. This is legitimately an error with the website and not just a personal thing as it makes cross save completely inaccessible for me across ALL platforms. Here is a link of being unable to continue past teh first screen, with the continue button greyed out, and steam not being able to authenticate. I am trying to link to my epic account, and that authentication works fine, but because steam doesnt I cannot link to epic.[/quote]That's intentionally there so you can't activate/deactivate cross-save without being able to authenticate all accounts. Its been a requirement since day 1. This also served a second purpose prior to the account linking change in which it stopped players that had bans issued by their platforms from being able to circumvent it and update their linked accounts to include non-banned accounts. Ie -> Player A has Steam set as the active profile but has Xbox linked, Xbox account gets banned by Xbox, player couldn't then switch the Xbox account for a different Xbox account because cross-save required the Xbox to also be authenticated. This obviously didn't matter much if their active got banned but it did mean they couldn't circumvent platform bans for the non-actives.

    Posting in language:

     

    Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

    2 Replies
    You are not allowed to view this content.
    ;
    preload icon
    preload icon
    preload icon