JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Destiny 2

Discuss all things Destiny 2.
10/7/2026 2:07:44 PM
5

PvP Matchmaking

I can’t be the only person who thinks it’s atrocious. I lose more games than I win because of the people who I get put with on a team because no one wants to capture zones. Does anyone else have these same issues? I feel like as soon as you start winning a lot of games Destiny is like oh nope we gotta pair you with people now and put you on a 5 game losing streak because you win too much. Side note: I’m not coming in here to cry I’m genuinely asking if this is a thing for anyone else because I have no clue in how Destiny’s PvP matchmaking works.
English
#destiny2

Posting in language:

 

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

  • Bungie has clearly stated that mm incorporate a lot of systems. I’ll state then here below. Not in any order. - skill base. - connection base. - win rate. - connection. - openskill - outlier protection. - skill bracket. - rank competitive points. - team base mm All these systems are working behind the scenes, of course, depending on the playlist you’re playing. But you can imagine that all of this also comes with restrictions. Let me give you my explanation. I consider myself an above-average player. I have no problem reaching 15k Competitive points each season or going Flawless. From my experience, Bungie’s main matchmaking system revolves around Combat Rating. Bungie has explained this system themselves. DM me if you want the article. If you want a general idea of where you stand, you can look at the emblem. It should show your Player Score, which gives you an indication of where you belong according to Destiny’s matchmaking ranking. For example, mine is around 40 Combat Score, and I have about 70k kills this season. My win rate is around 46%, and I mainly solo queue. That actually lines up with Bungie’s philosophy of trying to keep players around a roughly 50% win rate. Now, about your question regarding playing the objective. From my experience, I’m already an above-average player. If I start heavily playing the objective, I’m actually hurting myself. And listen carefully here. When I play the objective, my Combat Score goes up. That can make my matchmaking stricter, or I get team-balanced more heavily. So instead of getting my usual 25–30 kills per game, I can end up being put on teams where the other players are performing below their previous average. Instead of players who normally get 10–14 kills, I might get teammates getting 3–8 kills. Now I’m not only expected to get more kills, but I also have to capture and defend objectives constantly. And the more I focus purely on winning and playing the objective, the worse this can become because of how the matchmaking parameters react to my performance. That’s why I personally don’t focus heavily on the objective. I’m basically trying to counter the matchmaking parameters so I can still have fun and relax instead of sitting on the edge of my seat, drinking gamer fuel and sweating every single game. 😂 So my advice is: Don’t just focus on winning every game. Learn how your performance influences the matchmaking parameters and play around them. That way, you can still perform well while actually having fun with the game. If you have more questions, DM me! 👍

    Posting in language:

     

    Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

  • That’s normal. I play everyday. I never quit matches and my win rate is 47%. Everyone goes through stretches of wins and losses. One day you’ll feel invincible and the next the game brings you down to earth and gives you a dose of reality.

    Posting in language:

     

    Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

    1 Reply
    • [quote]I can’t be the only person who thinks it’s atrocious. I lose more games than I win because of the people who I get put with on a team because no one wants to capture zones. Does anyone else have these same issues? I feel like as soon as you start winning a lot of games Destiny is like oh nope we gotta pair you with people now and put you on a 5 game losing streak because you win too much. Side note: I’m not coming in here to cry I’m genuinely asking if this is a thing for anyone else because I have no clue in how Destiny’s PvP matchmaking works.[/quote] Welcome to bungies team balancing system. If your even remotely a competent player bungie will give you actual braindead bots on your team and expect you to carry the other 5 players on your team. Whenever I use to play trials before they removed adept weapons from flawless chest I would always have to double carry both teammates every game to flawless. No joke I’d get 0.2 / 0.6 kd teammates and get put against 1.5 / 1.8 players on the enemy team. Because of bungies matchmaking system.

      Posting in language:

       

      Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

      1 Reply
      • 1
        Assuming you’re talking about 6’s I’ve accepted that some people have a very different idea of “fun” than I do. A lot, I’d even say most, people don’t like playing objectives. I like to win - that’s when I have the most fun. Some people have fun just running around taking fights. It takes all kinds, I guess. I try to focus on my individual performance in any mode, but I don’t use winning as a measurement for success in QP especially because it’s just frustrating. Best solution is to party up with like-minded people as often as you can so you know at least 1-2 people on your team are rowing in the same direction.

        Posting in language:

         

        Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

        1 Reply
        • 1
          eliteg
          eliteg

          moar engrims / m17nerf - old

          Yes from time to time its exactly like this.. it'll switch up.. you'll have mercies both ways or good/great matches even... depends on several factors. I, for now, have decided to look at it like this. If you are walking through shi!... just keep going.. you'll eventually get to the good stuff before you'll step in it again... this is D2 PVP... this is the way. Happy hunting. =)

          Posting in language:

           

          Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

          3 Replies
          You are not allowed to view this content.
          ;
          preload icon
          preload icon
          preload icon